From:
laurie wheeler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 11 Apr 1999 15:27:07 PDT
On Apr 3, we were alerted about American Baby magazine. Here's the
address and my letter, if anyone else cares to write.

American Baby Magazine
249 W. 17th St
New York NY 10011

American Baby Editors:

Re your article "Smart foods" [April 99, p. 12] - moms don't need
prenatal supplements while breastfeeding. Even a mom who eats a less
than perfect diet will make excellent quality milk.

You imply that babies on formula are better off nutritionally because
they get DHA in formula.  This is at the very least, laughable and at
worst, dangerous - steering parents towards artificial milk (formula).
First of all, as you stated, moms can get DHA from lots of food
sources. This is better than a supplement, really. Secondly, why would
anyone (who had the correct information) want their baby to miss out
on hundreds and thousands of important nutrients (missing out on
breastmilk) just to ensure that the baby got the DHA in the formula?
You should know that some formula has more iron, for example, than
breastmilk, HOWEVER the iron in breastmilk is much more bioavailable
than the iron in formula, which is very poorly absorbed. What if it's
the same with the DHA?

I cannot recommend your publication to my hospital or clients.

Laurie Wheeler, RN, MN, IBCLC