From:
Winifred Mading <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 May 2006 11:06:49 -0500
I personally suspect that big, showy campaigns don't really have an effect
in the long run.  I feel that the most effective in the long run is
persistent, little messages showing breastfeeding as a norm.  I am reminded
about the theory that if you put a frog in water and raise the temperature
slowly enough that it can't distinguish the change, it would be possible to
boil the frog without it even being aware of it (assuming the frog never
moves even a little).  This takes time, but probably the most effective in
the long run.  How wonderful it would be if every time a baby is shown
feeding on TV, it would be breastfeeding.  It seems now that breastfeeding
is only shown when it is an issue in the plot line.  Nursing babies would
appear in ads having nothing to do with babies, feeding, environment etc.
I just heard a second-hand report from the HMBANA conference where there
was a speaker from Brazil.  They have even trained the letter carriers to
be breastfeeding advocates!  Not ony do they regularly deliver pro
breastfeeding pamphlets, but they are trained to help with things like
"tweaking" a latch.  I remember hearing about a program to educate
hairdressers to be advocates for mammograms and self-exams, especially in
populations that are statistically resistant to these practices.  The
hairdressers could be great breastfeeding advocates.  Women discuss many
aspects of their personal lives with them and the woman is somewhat of a
"captive audience" when she is in the chair!  We need to bombard everyone
with the message, but bombard with persistent raindrops, not with the
humungous hail balls (like the ones that pock-marked my car a few weeks
ago) that are more likely to make people duck for cover.

Winnie