From:
Elizabeth Puzar <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 4 May 1996 01:28:05 -0400
My all-time favorite is Nursing Mother's Companion, third revised edition, by
Kathleen Huggins.  I like it because, in a crisis, the pertinent information
is easy to find.  Engorged?  There's an explanation of engorgement, then a
step by step guide to relief.  Nipples feel like they're going to fall off?
 Turn to that page....  I also like the "survival guides" for each stage of
nursing.  "How to survive the first week" is a real gem.  I didn't like the
title at first because I thought using the word survival was too negative,
but I have found that by the time a mom comes to me with a concern, using the
word 'survival' seems appropriate.

I also like the appendices on determining babies' milk needs during the first
six weeks and medications.  I do wish the drug section gave references,
though.

I also like Kathleen Huggins' The Nursing Mother's Guide to Weaning.  It
addressed the mother's concern, then gives her suggestions for solving her
challenge while continuing to breastfeed!  It covers why a mother may want to
supplement with formula, then gives her suggestions for solving her concern
without supplementing with formula.  There are also directions for estimating
a mother's milk production and determining a baby's need for breastmilk based
on the infant's weight.

Moms have liked both books.

Elizabeth