From:
Lee-Ann Halbert <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 6 Dec 1997 20:29:27 -0800
re: the incorrect info that leads to an early end to breastfeeding, I
recall a thread on this awhile back.  In a malpractice suit, I believe
you have to prove some type of injury.  Although we all *know* the harm
of not having breastmilk, I think it would be difficult if not impossible
to prove that the bad info from the ped, which leads to using ABM, caused
some injury in a baby.  Perhaps the one exception I can think of is a
baby becoming severely ill/dying from the ABM itself, when used at the
ped's suggestion.  I don't think recurring ear infections, a mother's
distress at losing the relationship, or any of a hundred valid other
reasons meet the legal standard for a finding of malpractice...but, then
again, I could be wrong.
Lee-Ann Halbert, LLLL, IBCLC, and one-time lawyer (many, many years
ago...now less than 2 weeks from BSN!)