From:
Pamela Morrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Feb 2008 00:34:13 +0000
Morgan

You gave a wonderful testimony for the need to speak on behalf of
babies!  Very persuasive, very simple, very direct. I am particularly
struck by how you have put your finger on the central truth that when
you attack a mother's infant feeding choice it has no sting, whereas
when you frame an attack on breastfeeding as an attack on the baby,
the implications become very clear.  Thank you!

Yet where you note that the mother is still so reduced and reviled,
it has always seemed to me that this happens precisely because we
frame so many of the issues surrounding the well-being of babies and
young children as being only "women's decisions" and "women's
choices".   I've always felt that by portraying mothers as mothers of
*babies*, and by putting the well-being of babies first, then this
would elevate the status of women.  When the well-being of the child
is seen to be the central issue (as so eloquently stated in many
UNICEF documents) then, by association, this highlights the unique
and irreplaceable role that only women can play as the nurturers and
carers of their children.  Seen in this light, the duty of society is
to enable women SO THAT they can mother their babies.  Breastfeeding,
public or private, is not a right of women, but the right of their
babies.  Maternity leave is not a right of women, but the right of
babies.  Being truly baby-friendly would mean being mother-friendly,
since mothering itself, would at last be accorded a value - to
become, in effect, invaluable.

Pamela Morrison IBCLC

Morgan wrote, "Attack breastfeeding, you are attacking the
baby.  Attack the mother, and you are interfering with her personal
choice - and a choice that you may not approve of, so it has no 'sting'
to those doing the attacking.....

".....I'm filled with sadness that the role and status of the woman, the
mother, is still so reduced and reviled.  But hopeful, that, at least,
there is still some sense of the imperative that the child has to have
protection."