From:
keithandkids <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Dec 1998 10:13:22 -0500
I noticed the thread here on books in the popular press and breastfeeding. I
was shopping the other day and found a small gift book called "A Special
Collection In Praise of Mothers" by Helen Exley. It is full of poetry and
quotes , and has a number of beautiful breastfeeding art works. I was
surprised by the number. So I had to have it. I also recently read Tom
Clancy's, "Rainbow Six" and was delighted that this author managed to
include some really pleasant comments about breastfeeding when describing a
character in the book and her new baby. I have to admit that this was not a
subject I expected to be touched on in a book of this type. And then of
course there is all that stuff that Anne Rice manages to refer to in her
books, the one that I thought was really fascinating was "Taltos". Where
this creature has all this accelerated growth from his mothers breast. It's
a weird book. I think that when you begin to see authors include
breastfeeding as part of there work in these ways that it shows that we are
making progress in breastfeeding becoming the norm. Certainly we have a way
to go, but this is a step. Dee Keith, IBCLC, LLLL, mother of Ten.