From:
Jodine Chase <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Nov 2002 08:03:04 -0700
> From: Jodine Chase <[log in to unmask]>
>
> A story in our local paper on women's rights and breastfeeding at work. The
> article includes references to two different human rights rulings, one in
> Alberta, Canada and one in British Columbia, Canada, related to women
> breastfeeding at work.

Oh, the internet.

The news article is now gone from the Edmonton Sun's archives. So to enhance
the LactNet archives, I'm going to quote a few relevant bits from the
article. I'll save the hard-copy of the article and make it available to
anyone who wants it offlist.

The Alberta Human Rights and Citizenship Commission education director
Nicholas Ameyaw says:

"It's definitely an emerging issue in the human rights area. It's something
that's coming up and gaining momentum. There's no question about it. It's
probably not known as much as maternity leave, but mothers are increasingly
becoming aware of it..."

The article notes Ameway hasn't had any resistance from employers when he
presents this information.

Alberta Human Rights Commission Director Marie Riddle says, "you can't
discriminate against someone because they're breastfeeding. The employer has
to really pay attention to request like that an do absolutely everything
possible up to undue hardship to accommodate the employee who makes a
request."

The article citation is here:

Breast is best; Women now have the right to breastfeed at work
Edmonton Sun, p. 54, Thursday, November 21, 2002
By Shelly Decker, staff writer

-- Jodine Chase