From:
Karen Gromada <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 May 2006 18:08:41 -0400
---- LACTNET automatic digest system <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>It doesn't really fit with what I have
come to understand pacing to mean. It is likely I need more information. Can
anyone shed more light on this statement about pacing feeds:

"Pacing is counting how many times your baby sucks and then taking a break
after five sucks by tipping the bottle or removing the nipple so your baby
can swallow and breathe."

I think one of the problems with the term "pacing" is that it already is/was part of the feeding intervention lexicon for SLPs and OTs; their focus is rather different form ours because transition to breast generally is not part of their objective. Perhaps we need our own term for how we use it, e.g. "cue-based" bottle-feeding, cue-based cup-feeding, cue-based syringe-feeding, etc. The baby should set the pace no matter what the method and the person feeding must learn to read, respect and respond appropriately to what the infant "says" he/she is ready (or not) for.

Having said that, I like the description of such a method -- no matter what it is termed -- as described in:
Thoyre SM, Shaker CS & Pridham KF (2005). The early feeding skills assessment for preterm infants. Neonatal Network, 24(3), 7-16.
A side panel in the article covers it well.

There's a bit of protocol info here:
http://www.cpqcc.org/Documents/NutritionToolkit/NutriDoc2/Appendix.Q.a.pdf

BTW, I know a SLP who really disagree with removal of the teat during such feedings, because it often results in a baby having to completely reorganize orally (if even able). She taught me other ways to accomplish without removal.

Karen