From:
Daniel Hirsch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Nov 1999 12:00:53 -0500
Dear Lactnetters,

I am designing a study to assess the effectiveness of a prenatal
intervention.  One of my outcome measures will be the incidence of
breastfeeding complications in the study and control group.  Thus in
designing the statistical methods and to assist in determining sample
size for my breastfeeding project, the statistician/epidemiologist
asked me what is the OVERALL incidence of complications (mastitis,
abcess, engorgement, bleeding nipples, infant failure to
thrive/lactation failure).

What are peoples' experiences, SPECIFICALLY WITH THE WIC POPULATION?
I would be interested in both hard data and rough estimates.  I just
need some numbers to make sure that I will be giving the statistician
a reasonable or somewhat accurate estimate.

Thanks to all

Danny Hirsch, MD
Westchester Medical Center