From:
Liz Brooks <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Mar 2008 06:36:25 -0500
Nicole - There are buckets of successful IBCLCs who are not also RNs.  The beauty of the IBCLC credential is that it is the world-wide, internationally-known and universally-respected "top of the pyramid" for offering breastfeeding support.You have already carved a beautiful career path -- all while caring for young children.  Taking the IBCLC exam would be the feather your cap needs right now.Why?  (1)  I-B-C-L-C is an international credential, awarded by I-B-L-C-E.   Yes, many hospital administrators are not educated about the differences -- but you (by sheer force of personal experience) will be able to quickly explain the difference in the training that went into becoming a peer counselor, a CLC, a CLE -- and an IBCLC.  (2)  IBCLCs are ethically required to follow the IBLCE Code of Ethics, and encouraged to practice using the I-L-C-A Standards of Practice.  Telling your potential employers or contractors that your IBCLC status brings with it these greater responsibilities helps to underscore its prominence as a *profession* [even if you only do it part-time].  It says: I take my profession and its responsibilities seriously.(3)  IBCLCs are described as an important member of the health care *team* -- see both the Code of Ethics and Standards of Practice -- which is persuasive with the administrators who (erroneously) think breastfeeding supporters "go off" on their own self-carved and uncontrolled paths.(4)  As an IBCLC, you would be an allied health care professional *who should practice only with the protection of professional liability insurance.*  Try asking the hospital administrators who are willing to hire non-IBCLCers how comfortable they feel having these people undertaking clinical consultations, inside the hallowed halls of their institution, without any professional liability insurance to cover their interactions with patients.  (Shh -- if you listen carefully, I think you can hear the screams of those administrators, running in terror down their halls to their Risk Managers.)(5)  There are a zillion professional development and leadership reasons for you to join ILCA -- but its automatic membership (for you) in the United States Lactation Consultant Association (USLCA) will allow you to buy professional liability insurance for $109/year.  Price that against what it will cost you to buy it outside of ILCA -- and you will instantly see that is a wise business decision to join your professional association.  (P.S.  ILCA membership is open to anyone who supports it mission -- it is not "just" for IBCLCs.)(6)  Which brings us to the final point.  Can you make a go of your business?  Well -- the answer to that lies in your decision to treat the concern as a *business.*  Again -- there are buckets of IBCLCs out there who are making a go of their private practice, even part time.  You are restricted only by your own clever marketing and creativity. Can't get a hospital to hire you as an employee/IBCLC?  Try approaching them to offer the service as an independent contractor.  Not a lot of delivery hospitals in your area?  Try approaching local businesses or plants about offering lactation support programs (which is the great wave of the future - mark my words).  Not enough dough to open your own shop?  Consider sharing office space with doulas or childbirth educators or holistic practitioners who are likely to attract the same clients you would.(7)  Run, don't walk, to your closest bookstore or website and purchase Linda Smith's "The Lactation Consultant in Private Practice"Liz Brooks, JD, IBCLCWyndmoor, PA, USA