From:
Linda Pohl <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Jan 2019 19:12:40 +0000
Hi Mary -
USDA published a press release regarding operations during the shutdown.  Because WIC uses federal, state, and local/tribal funds it should be able to continue in a limited fashion.  The take away is:[WIC], can continue to operate at the State and local level with any funding and commodity resources that remain available. Additional Federal funds and commodities will not be provided during the period of the lapse.

I am not a government spokesperson but, from what I am seeing, agencies that have been funded for FY19 are unaffected.  Agencies that have multi-year funding or sources other than from the federal budget generally function in a limited fashion until the money runs out.  Agencies that have been exclusively operating under the continuing resolutions are unfunded and cease all but life-safety and national security functions.  Further complicating matters is that employees are not allowed to "volunteer" their time to the government so, if they cannot be paid, they must not work.
Hopefully the volunteer organizations such as La Leche League and other mother-to-mother support groups will be available to fill part of the void until the hard-working folks at WIC are fully funded again.  I know we have WIC folks on Lactnet and they may have additional information.

You can read the USDA press release at this link: Secretary Perdue Details USDA Functions in the Event of a Lapse in Federal Funding | USDA

|   |
Secretary Perdue Details USDA Functions in the Event of a Lapse in Federal Funding | USDA
 (Washington, D.C., December 21, 2018) – U.S. Secretary of Agriculture Sonny Perdue today detailed which function...  |  |

llp Linda Pohl, IBCLC, RLCPhoenix, Chennai, Athens, Kabul, Kuala Lumpur, Bamako, Abidjan