From:
Lisa Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Mar 2008 13:53:19 -0500
I agree with most of the posts.
 I have seen and known  quite a few fellow nurses who have not had any
experience outside of their area take a week long class if lucky, then get
supervisors to sign off their hours and sit boards. Most are easily smart
enough to pass the test but have absolutely no ability to process and use
the information in any but the most textbook easy cases. Most of the time,
faced with any challenge they'll throw up their hands and use a nipple
shield, generally not needed if they'd had a bit more time.
I've had many ask me to sign their hours off...in almost all cases I  refuse
unless there is a documentation  history where I could review and track
their cases.  I'm NOT signing off on a 10 minute " gave the baby to mom,
discussed latch, answered any questions" as their total assessment and
observation. Groan!
  When I decided to go after my certification, most of my experience was in
hospital- newborn / nicu and Peds. I spent the time to work additionally at
another hospital that had a " real" practice and saw appointments for all
ages and stages. I worked with local LLL groups, etc. In other words- took
the time to really try and learn to process how to help families of all
stages before I even began to look at  sitting boards. It took a few years
but I wouldn't trade any of that hands on real life learning. I still learn
something new from babies and families every day and hope never to stop
learning.
 Now I see very smart test takers getting certified ....just for the fancy
initials and a few cents more in their paycheck.
 And yes Lisa- I've had the same experiences..."duhh... well  I don't know
about my local coalitions and what... I need to be part of a Breastfeeding
Committee.. can't I just hand out candy at  World Breastfeeding Week?"
 It's pretty sad and seemingly unstoppable.
( Sorry... another night of dealing with 3 NICU moms with ripped up nipples
and dehydrated kids... all whom had an IBCLC RN test- taker type chart
breastfeeding well, all questions answered....."
Lisa J RN IBCLC