Date:
Tue, 13 Jul 1999 10:31:09 -0400
Perhaps I'm not understanding this thread correctly (I haven't read every
post in the thread - sorry), but I've always thought of mastitis as an
actual infection that requires more than the typical engorgement-type
remedies.  In other words:  in addition to nursing often, rest (as if she
wants to do much of anything when she has a fever!), and heat (yes, I
suggest heat prior to nursings) - they need a *doctor* IMO, and probably a
course of antibiotics.  In my experience recurring mastitis is often
mastitis that hasn't ever yet been treated with antibiotics.  And not just
for 2 or 3 days; some clients don't finish the bottle.  If she has a fever
and has lots of bodily aches/pains (i.e., symptoms not confined merely to
the breasts - that's mastitis) then she needs a doctor, IMO, along with
whatever tips I can give her about the breastfeeding situation specifically.
My bottom line?  Fever, feeling like you've been hit by a Mack truck.  Those
symptoms send you to a doctor ASAP, if you're a client of mine :-)......
Regina Roig Lane, BS, IBCLC for Miami-Dade County WIC