Date:
Fri, 25 Jun 1999 13:26:56 +0100
>Colleagues: Suggestions sought for this difficult situation.

Anne - this is the worst sort of scenario, when what you would really like
to do is to roll back the clock and start all over again....

> I am seeing
>a 11 week old baby who is an inefficient nurser. Birth history was
>normal. but baby didn't latch well, mother had sore nipples early on.
>Mother told baby's mouth too small for her nipples. Baby weighed 6#3,
>6#9 @ two weeks. Mother told to begin supplements because he cried so
>much.

How often do we see this?  Problem with bf?  Well, just supplement....and
what happens? Baby soon getting almost all the nutrition from supplements.
And *of course* the milk supply is low...

>Mother able to drop the amount of formula significantly
>(12 oz), and can and collect 10oz/day in addition to breastfeeding.

She is doing really well, with your help and support, to have turned the
situation round even this far in just two weeks.

>Am open to any and all suggestions, paricularly, how to teach the
>baby that the food comes from the breast.

Yes - and that comfort comes from the breast too. Any time the baby squeaks
or twitches, she can try him at the breast, so he associates the breast
with soothing and pleasure. The more she can feed just naturally and
comfortably, by being close to him as much as possible so she and the baby
can just 'do it' , the better.

She isn't ever pumping  instead of feeding is she? I find that when there's
a lot of pumping going on, sometimes mothers try to fit in more sessions
with the pump rather than sessions at the breast - and they get so *hung
up* on the quantities they can get out with the pump rather than watching
the baby's behaviour and responses. It's as if 'feeding the pump' is the
target of bf.....

Heather Welford Neil
NCT bfc Newcastle upon Tyne UK