Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Nov 1996 08:43:50 PST
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (15 lines)
 I just read the post regarding the rough treatment of babies and I wanted to share and experience with all of you.

Last year I worked with an IBCLC in a hospital who's theory was that if you got the baby on once the problem of latch on difficulties would be solved.  I watched her aggressively stimulate a baby's palate (after forcing his lips open) and very aggressively getting the baby to the breast. She instructed the mother to let her "do it" and to put her hands down.  The LC got the baby on the breast and then positioned the mom's arms around the baby so the LC could let go!  This mom was ready to go home and was concerned about "doing it alone".  My goal was to teach this mom alternative feeding techniques before she went home and to follow up with an office visit the next day.  However-this was my supervisor and it was to be done her way.

Her theory was that if the baby latched on once, he would again. She felt I wasnt assertive enough when attempting to acheive a good latch on and that we shouldn't be sending moms home without the baby nursing first.  We needed to do anything to get the baby on.  My theory is that some babies are a little slower than others and we should be patient and give other feeding techniques while we work with the mom and baby in a gentle way.

We have both had success and obviously my story is prejudiced to my style.  I eventually left that position because we had just too many theoretical differences and I just couldn't do it anymore.  But it really shook my confidence.

So what do you think?  You can post here if you think it is appropriate or email me privately.
 Thanks
 Barbara Leshin-Zucker, IBCLC
 Highland Mills, NY

PS-This mom did not end up breastfeeding the baby. :-(

ATOM RSS1 RSS2