From:
Anne Grider <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Oct 2005 21:08:05 -0400
Barbara,
I've had a small pump rental business for 15 years.  I am not set up for
credit cards, accepting personal checks or cash.  I believe I've had two bad
checks which were made good.  One pump did not come back that was turned
over for collection to Medela after all my attempts failed to retrieve it.
One pump was retrieved from out of state by an embarrassed mother-in-law.
Two pumps I chose to go after myself.  Very rarely do I not receive full
reimbursement.  If a mother is having difficulty I give her addressed
envelopes and tell her to pay me as she is able. Nearly everyone has, in
time.  I will rent for any length of time.  In fact, as an LC in private
practice, I actually discourage long rentals if they want a pump for a
nursing problem that I expect can be resolved quickly.  I only ask for their
names, addresses and phone numbers - no other contact info.  It is almost
never needed.   I usually collect a $20 deposit and an amount equal to the
length they expect to keepthe pump, or what they can afford at the time.
Some pay me monthly.  Most settle up when the pump is returned if they owe
more.  Deposit is either refunded or used in payment of additional rental
time. I find that treating clients with trust and respect goes a long way
toward getting pumps back and reimbursed.

Hope this helps,
Anne Grider, IBCLC