Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (44 lines)
From the Harris County Breastfeeding Coalition (Texas):

Sent: Tuesday, November 25, 2003 1:20 PM
Subject: National Ad Campaign and next meeting

Dear HCBC members,

I have spoken with a CDC representative regarding the recent controversy surrounding attempts to undermine release of the full National Breastfeeding Campaign.  The CDC is charged with certifying the scientific validity of the campaign.  Because they are a government agency working on the campaign, they cannot write letters or lobby about it, and I will protect the privacy of my contact by not divulging the name of the individual to whom I spoke.  However, I gained some valuable insights which I would like to share with you.

First:  Insiders believe that Tommy Thompson supports the campaign in it's present format.  Without divulging confidential information, I can say that he does not agree that it will have a negative impact on maternal behavior, induce guilt, or convey inaccurate scientific information about either breastfeeding itself or the risk of not breastfeeding.  It is very important that people who write letters maintain a calm and respectful sense of decorum that coincides with the reality that this campaign is the right thing to do and our government understands that. Remember, Tommy Thompson just received the letter.  He did not write it. 

Second: The primary person in charge of setting the release date is
Assistant Secretary for Public Affairs Kevin Keane      
200 Independence Ave., S.W., Room 647-D
Washington, DC  20201
Phone  202-690-7850
Fax  202-690-5673

My contact reported that Secretary Keane also supports the campaign in it's current format.  Letters to Sec Keane are appropriate at this point.  Should additional pressure be brought to bear, such letters could prove useful.

Third:  It is not clear what impact if any congress could have on the campaign at this point, since it is already funded.

Fourth:  Delays up to this point have resulted from the development process and not from formula company influence.  These sorts of delays occur more often than not in the development and implementation of a campaign as well researched and of as great a magnitude as this one.  

Fifth:  Secretary Thompson's e-mail had to be shut down because of the overload a few days ago.  The message is getting through.  However, we do not want to shut down their operations.  They really don't deserve the grief.  Therefore, I suggest that people send messages by mail or Fed-ex rather than e-mail, phone, or fax.

Regards,
Judy Hopkinson

P.S.  The executive board of the HCBC drafted a letter on this issue which was sent to Secretary Thompson under the joint signatures of June Hanke and myself.  Copies of the letter will be available at the next HCBC meeting on December 4th at 4 pm at 8000 N stadium drive.   At this meeting, we will have the first insider peak at the Texas African American Breastfeeding Initiative PSAs and materials.   

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2