From:
Christine Betzold <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 Nov 1999 23:48:41 EST
<<
  Any parenting program that ends up with depressed, anorexic babies, slow
  weight gain, feeding tubes, and failure to thrive as a result of that
program
  should be universally panned by our profession.  And that is true of the
  Preparation for Parenting/Babywise programs.  Or ANY program that treats all
  mo >>

 I have a friend who practices BW with her children.  3 weeks ago she told me
 that she is having parenting problems (her little second born, one year old
is
 having tantrums and still cries when placed down for a nap)   and then she
 told me she had an unhappy child.  I informed her about the research  that
 crying is harmful and she seemed receptive.
 Once she came to me for advice when this little one was ill with a
 gastroenteritis and she would only eat cheerios not what she usually ate.  I
 encouraged her to feed her whatever she wanted and to do more BF  because
she
 was ill.  Mom said, "But won't that get her off schedule?"
 I wanted to scream,  "Schedule, what schedule?  SHE"S SICK!"  But instead I
 said, "Oh, I am sure she will go right back to it once she is better."

 Since she was receptive to the research before I would like to obtain any
 references on BW and depression.

 I would also like to share that over the last year or so, I gave up on
 getting my now two year old to sleep through the night and I continued to
 nurse him several times.  He has been sick every one-two months for the last
 18 months.  He is quite allergic and gets frequent sinus infections.  Last
 month he had a CT scan for reoccuring fevers and we found ethmoidal and
 maxillary sinusitis. As I am sure you are aware the ethmoid sinuses are deep
 and have probably never been adequately treated since we only gave the
 antibiotics for 2 weeks in the past.   He is now on antibiotics for 4 weeks.

 Over the last few weeks he has self-weaned 50%, nurses more gently,  and now
 usually only wakes up early morning one time.  I am so glad that I listened
 to my baby and not to what family and society dictated I should do.
Instead
 of a depressed child,  I have a cheerful silly goofy funny happy little boy.

 And I tell as many people as I can about my experience of  "listening to my
 baby" and how once we diagnosed and started  treating him , I tell them of
 his subsequent change in behavior.     Christine Betzold MSN NP CLE