From:
"Helen M. Woodman" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Mar 1999 17:26:32 EST
I believe that denying women the right to have their babies with them at all
times is against human rights and I do not think it would stand up in Court.
Even those in charge of zoos do not separate a baby from its mother unless it
has been 'abandoned'.  We humans think nothing of doing it to our own species
which is an appalling state of affairs.  It will not take too many guesses to
think what I feel about being denied the right to have your baby in bed with
you whilst in hospital. . . .  We need to stand up and shout about this.
Trawling to find research papers to 'prove' to the 'authorities' that
separating mother and baby is harmful is outrageous.  I have to clarify that I
am not railing against the poster but feel sad and cross that we should be in
this situation in the year 1999.  My profound sympathy and encouragement with
the poster for having to go this extra mile to prove a point to her
colleagues.  Good Luck.  kindest regards, Helen Woodman, NCT Breastfeeding
Counsellor, Storrington, West Sussex, UK. mailto:[log in to unmask]