From:
Fok Fook Kong <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 14 Sep 1997 12:15:18 PDT
Dear Amy and Kathleen Bruce,
It took me sometime to write this as my server was out.  Anyway, I've
plucked enough courage to address the issues that Amy mentioned.
Amy,
You sounded like me, when I first ventured into the lactation consultancy
field about six and a half years ago.  I was indignant about the ignorance
and lack of empathy on the part of the health professionals who were
attending to me.  What did not help was also some relatives' ignorance and
lack of support of my husband's and my breast feeding decision.  It was
with fear and trembling that I took up the challenge to go to Australia and
took the IBCLE exams in 1991 and 1992.  It took me two years to pass -
because of the lack of accurate and up to date information in Singapore.  I
hope this situation has been addressed in Singapore.  It has been a long and
lonely path for me - now there are 14 lactation consultants in Singapore.
The examination is conducted in Singapore now.  The MDs and the health
professionals in Singapore are beginning to wake up to their need to be
up-to-date.  In the 1997 World Breast feeding Week, more are speaking up
about breast feeding issues.  The media is willing to give more coverage to
this issue.  The Singapore government is also willing to actively encourage
breast feeding with its 1996 revision of the Singapore code and publication
of its pamphlet on breast feeding.  The path in breast feeding promotion is
not easy , but don't be discouraged Amy.  We have many counterparts - if
not in your home country,  there are others in the rest of the world.  You
have Dr. Chen in Taichung to talk to , if you need any support.  You are
welcome to email to me - if you need any encouragement.
Kathleen, I think Dr. Chen is very busy the first two weeks of September
with the WHO's 40 hour training course.  She may be able to get back to
Lactnet once the training is over.  She has been busy these two months,
coming to Singapore in early August to speak to the public and health
professionals about breastfeeding during the World Breast feeding Week
and now back in Taiwan to organise the training course.  We all need a lot
of support and encouragement.  Dr. Chen has been wonderful - I wish all
neonatologist and doctors are like her- always willing to learn and share
from her breast feeding experience.
Best wishes to all breast feeding advocates!
Doris Fok,
email: [log in to unmask]
lactation consultant
K.K. Women's and Children's hospital