Date:
Thu, 16 Apr 2009 10:14:20 EDT

Aria writes:

They  take this seemingly disinterested-in-nursing behavior to mean
weaning.   Does anyone have a clever way to describe to moms that baby is really
still  interested in nursing and typically wouldn't be weaning this  early?

~ Aria,

I don't think this is clever, but I do believe it's true. :) Sometimes
breaking a "nursing" behavior out of the nursing box and putting it into
context  with other familiar behavior helps. This kind of distractibility happens
to  children who really need help focusing on eating at the dinner table
when  they have a big story to tell, or when they need help to change focus to
start  or finish homework they need to do. They just need a little "tap on
the  shoulder" to bring them back to the task at hand, when they are craning
their  heads ( or minds) to focus on something else. They may need a verbal
reminder, or they may need their situation changed ( music on or different,
 TV off, light level changed, etc) to facilitate the shift.  It happens to
adults children and adults who forget to eat then they are really into
something. My husband sometimes asks me if I ate anything when we talk midday.
He knows I can get really busy and just not make it a priority. Most of us
know  someone whose focus is like this, even if that person wasn't us. I
might have  been a sibling, a friend, whatever, so the parent with the
interested-in-other-things child, might see this is not weaning, but a stage or
individual who just needs reminding or a little encouragement to do what we as
 the parent of the individual knows they really need. Does that make sense?

Peace,
Judy

Judy LeVan  Fram, PT, IBCLC, LLLL
Brooklyn, NY,  USA