From:
Morgan Gallagher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Jun 2007 11:20:38 +0100
Jaye Simpson, IBCLC wrote:
> So thoughts?  Their negligence put mother and baby at risk - their
> negligence caused a situation to happen that was unnecessary and the
> possibility of mom developing an abscess is strong.  Do I write them a
> letter?  Do I talk to them (after calming down for a few weeks so I can get
> the ticked off, "how could you?" tone out of my voice)?  How do you nicely
> tell people who should know better, and clearly don't, that they blew it big
> time?  Do I go to the midwives group here in my area and talk to the head
> for input?  These two have already had issues within their community as it
> is.

I think you're taking too much responsibility onboard in respect to
their feelings and attitudes.  Sometimes, we have to let go of the
informal, and approach things within formal frameworks.  Frameworks
should be robust enough to care for their midwives as people, whilst
protecting the professional environment.  It's not like you work with
them every day, cheek by jowl, and have an opportunity to lead by
example, and let them come to you for advice.  Likewise, it's not the
first time this has been raised.

The red flag for me, is the comment about "No mother has needed
antibiotics".  I think that's a shocking thing to say to any mother, and
firmly places the 'fault' at having an infection at the mother's door.
It also makes me wonder how many other women got this bad and gave up.

I do think you need to talk to the head of midwives, and ask that person
to take on the 'informal and supportive' role with them in the first
instance.  They may be able to initiate some retraining classes, or just
some informal discussions on boundaries etc.  If that doesn't work, you
have tried informal, and you can then, with good conscience, make a
formal note to the head of midwives, asking for more definite support to
be given to these two, so that they have the benefit of clear
guidelines.  After all, the head of midwives is paid to provide this
support to her team.  You can also take the heat away from these two, by
just making blanket requests for the correct referral procedures to be
addressed to everyone equally.

The point I'd make, is that you are not asking for the head of midwives
to police or censor these to, you're asking that they have more training
and/or support, in order to bring them in line with the procedures
already in place.  If these two are genuinely operating outwith the
protocols consistently, they deserve to have that addressed.  You've
already said they have issues within the community - this may be the
opportunity that brings them the support they need to integrate.  Or you
may find they are out on a limb as the midwife unit hasn't got
sufficient communication or leadership, a situation that could then be
addressed in turn.

Hope this makes sense.

Morgan Gallagher