Date:
Sat, 27 Nov 1999 21:33:34 EST
In a message dated 11/26/99 4:15:07 PM, [log in to unmask] writes:

>Oh, having a baby is your right in the US, anyone can have a baby, no
>matter what their problem is (addiction, HIV +,  homeless, you name it!).
>There is a new organization in Chicago, CRACK, that is paying drug addicted
>women $200 to use long-term contraception or sterililzation.  It has been
>branded as racist, coercive and endangering reproductive rights by ACLU
>and
>Planned Parenthood.
>
>Nobody thinks of the poor baby's rights to not be born addicted or damaged.
>Nobody thinks of the baby's right to a loving, attentive parent, who isn't
>strung out on drugs or the baby's rights not to be put into the ridiculous
>foster care system that exists in this country (it's sort of limbo for
>life, maybe someday we'll sever parental rights and get you a real family,
>kid).

Pat,

This pushes my buttons as well, but for different reasons.  There are already
state funded programs in place to provide for long term contraception or steri
lization.  In our state California it is called FamilyPact and provides care
for many low income women.

The "CRACK" program isn't new, has been out in California for many years.  I
find it objectionable as it is better at attention getting than providing
direct services.

My pet peeve -- why not funnel that money towards drug/alcohol rehab for the
moms, parenting support, early childhood programs?  We have a dearth of
programs in the US for recovery, there are only small underfunded programs
that work with women who are in the Sex Industry who want to come off the
streets.  I spend a lot of my waking hours working with families with drug
related problems.  I continue to be appalled at the scarcity of programs that
could make a difference.

With all the hoopla around "Welfare Reform" and "Return to Work," I think
these problems will not go away.

Pierrette Mimi Poinsett MD, FAAP
Modesto CA