From:
ANN G CAGIGAS <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Jul 1997 23:09:02 -0700
Hi All,
 My client has shared with me more informationon about this syndrome.  I
think that the management of the baby will be fairly easy but figuring
out and helping Mom establish a milk supply will be the challenge.  The
Mom gave me the www address for this syndrome and I found it interesting
that in the information it's mentioned that BF is better than feeding
with ABM but that the baby will most probably need supplementation of
cholesterol.  " Although BM is rich in cholesterol(unlike commercial
formulas, which have almost no cholesterol) even Bm contains insufficient
chol. to supply a growing baby's needs."  Therefore, these children need
supplementary chol.although more research is needed to determine the
benefits and possible risks of chol. supplementation.
 These children commonally suffer from failure to thrive and a variety of
other disorders, poor suck being one.  Her big sister, once we worked on
suck training, took to BF and refused the SNS and only took
the occassional bottle.  The challenge was to get the extra calories in
her to promote weight gain.  It wasn't until 1993 that the need for
cholesterol was discovered.  This other child is now 5 and survived and
has been very healthy because her mother knew that giving BM to her sick
baby was the best approach.  So now, this Mom is faced with a different
set of problems that are interfering with BF, and that is her Lupus.  I
find working with these women so inspiring that I get the courage to
continue on in spite of all the other problems involved in being an LC.
The www address is; http://members.aol.com/slo97/index.html. The syndrome
is; Smith-lemil Optiz Synd.
Thanks,  Ann