From:
Susan Hergert <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Aug 2001 11:25:26 -0400
I guess I just need to respond to this thread that seems to be calling
for increasing specialization of the IBCLC credential. It concerns me.
As a general rule, the more "specialized" a practitioner becomes, the
less s/he is able to see the total picture.

While there may be a need for a high level of specialization among, say,
NICU IBCLCs who deal with VLBW babies (just an example.) As a general
rule I think it is counterproductive to look at someone as "only a
breast." Families are already dealing with a plethora of care providers
that are slicing them apart... caring for just the pelvis and perineum,
or just the baby, or just the nutritional needs of the dyad.... The list
goes on.

Let's try to hold onto the concept of the breastfeeding dyad within the
family as the unit that we service. It is a temptation to say "we
service the breast" because, in the health care system as we know it
specialization means greater revenue. But, it is not in many cases, in
the best interest of the mother, baby or family.

Just MHO,

Susan Keith-Hergert RNC, MS, IBCLC, PLA, CIBI
Holistic Natal Care
Cincinnati, Ohio