Date:
Tue, 17 Aug 2004 10:04:44 EDT
Judy said,

or is he  just really not able to latch
well enough to transfer milk? Does a faster  flow with a
supplementer./fingerfeeder at breast, with or without a NS make  the feedings
better, worse or
unchanged?

We can get him to do a bit of a latch if we use the periodontal syringe at
the breast and keep the milk coming.  He's not got enough tongue mobility  to
sustain a good latch and transfer milk on his own -- ergo, he doesn't have
enough tongue mobility to sustain a good latch w/ an SNS and transfer  milk.

I think CST would help and have offered to pay for it, but I think at this
point Jill is overwhelmed -- and I'm backing off; just wanting to support her
in  her mothering and not badgering her about the breastfeeding (as she's made
it  emminently clear that she will "take my suggestions under advisement" if
you get  my drift here....).  She can only do what SHE can do -- and
unfortunately  that isn't what I would do, or any of the rest of you would do in the
same  situation.

I think we tend to fight harder for the breastfeeding when we've had a good
breastfeeding experience under our belt -- I know that if my Tim had been my
first baby, I'd probably given up within the first week, and not tried again
(that's how hard HE was).  But I'd had two other good bf experiences, and
KNEW it could work w/ perseverence.  But if you don't have that -- it's all  head
knowledge and not heart knowledge....  Some wonderful women will  persevere
thru it, and others just can't -- or won't.

Jan -- taking off the LC hat, and putting the Mom/Grammy one on -- until  she
asks for my help again, in which case, the LC hat will be whipped back on in
less than a heartbeat!!