From:
Denise Altman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Nov 2003 13:05:06 EST
 <A HREF="http://www.acog.org/from_home/publications/press_releases/nr10-31-03-1.cfm">Click here: New ACOG Opinion Addresses Elective Cesarean Controversy</A>

I find it very ironic to see recent conversations that I have had in real
life are often also reflected in LACTNET posts.  This was just a topic of
discussion that I had with a group of my peers during a meeting regarding prenatal
education. The world is a small place indeed.

This opinion from ACOG seems to show that the OB docs recognize internally
that this is a very hot topic, and that they are approaching it with caution. I
can only hope that breastfeeding advocates within their organization will
educate the Ethics Committee on the potentially adverse effects that this type of
delivery has on breastfeeding before they release any type of position
statement. It is discouraging for all of us in the trenches to see the results first
hand, but at least there are more of us every year to support moms and baby's.
By also being a support to the healthcare team, I also think that we can help
create advocates to ultimately benefit the ones we care for. It may seem a
bit idealistic but I truly have seen this happen. We are making a difference.

Denise Altman, RN, IBCLC, LCCE
All The Best/Columbia, SC