From:
Linda Palmer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Jun 2007 14:33:09 -0400
Thanks for this great paper --- a WHO discussion of home-modified
animal milks. It shows, as I talked about earlier in terms of the
Meyenburg recipe (only to find out how common condensed milk and
syrup was), that animal milk plus sugar is dangerously low in fats ---
and gives good suggestions on what to use to improve this (suggesting
chiefly omega-6's).

They go on to mention that the boiling destroys certain nutrients, and
discuss iron challenges, while I contend that many other nutrients are
much too high or low even before boiling. Vitamins A & C are extremely
low and magnesium is very low (and may not be in a multivitamin). A
vitamin supplement is recommended. This won't lower phosphorous or
calcium, but it's likely a good start.

At the same time, formula/ABM companies remove all of the animal fat
from the cow's milk and add purely vegetable oils. I see this as an
advantage as the fats are where most toxins and hormones are found
(bovine hormones seeming problematic for humans); likely providing a
large reduction in chemical residues. However, I also feel it's quite a
disadvantage to be robbing infants of cholesterol and certain valuable
fatty acids found in the animal milk --- the kind of fat that babies are
supposed to be getting (albeit still very different from human milk
fats). Various vegetable fats are selected to provide saturated fats and
specific fatty acids. I'm far from an expert on fatty acids, and wonder
how much of their choice of fats has to do with "science and research,"
and how much has to do with the costs on the commodity markets (and
I/m not implying either -- I don't know the answer).

I imagine that this practice of removing the cream is a remnant of our
past misinformation about saturated fats and cholesterol, or is it
because butter can be sold for such a high dollar, or because they're
actually trying to reduce toxins (doubt it)? linda