From:
arnetta b dailey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Mar 1997 01:52:57 EST
My understanding from JHL was that it is thought that cabbage only works
because it is cold and we know the cold reduces swelling.

  However, my experiences with cabbage is the same as yours. Keep it by
the bed and reapply when wilted.  If you want to use cold only use for 20
minutes.

  It worked great for me especially after spinal surgery 4 years ago.  I
tried it on the suggestion of LC  friend who said "What could it hurt" "
You're already dying from the pain and swelling" and have been a firm
believer ever since.  Relief in two hours with a sense of "coolness " in
the area of the surgery that I really can't describe.  I slept for the
first time since coming home.  I remember it like yesterday.
Arnetta Dailey RN IBCLC
The Woodlands Texas