From:
Johanna Berger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Oct 1998 14:10:07 -0600
Dear Lactnuts,

I was returning an item at a big discount store on Sun.  The high school
kid at the desk noticed my "Ask Me About Breastfeeding" button and asked
if I knew anything about breastfeeding.  Me:  Why yes, what would you
like to know?  Him:  Is it really milk?  Me: yes.  All mammals make milk
for their young.  cows make cow's milk, sheep make sheep's milk, monkeys
make monkey's milk, whales make whale's milk and humans make human milk.
Him: Is it warm?  Me: yes, it's the same temp as the inside of your
mouth.  Him: Does it taste the same?  Me: No, not quite.  But, it's
better for human babies.  Breastmilk has different nutrients.  Him:  How
do you feel about women nursing in public?  Me:  All babies need to be
fed when they are hungry.  It's perfectly normal for a mother to nurse
her baby wherever and whenever he is hungry.
Him: Oh!  Me: thanks for asking questions!

Hopefully, he might think about his children being breastfed!  I was just
amazed that he was even able to ask a breastfeeding question!

My 2 y.o. who just weaned asked if we could "buy more breastmilk."

Johanna Berger, LSW
Breastfeeding Counselor
Bala Cynwyd, PA

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]