Date:
Tue, 23 Jan 2001 15:56:03 +0000
The term used in the UK by manufacturers is 'baby milk' or 'infant
milk'. This is on the cans, and it is also used in marketing and
advertising.  US brands - only a tiny part of the market - have the
word formula on the packs, though.

I would never use the word 'baby milk' personally,  because I think
it has been deliberately invented to sound cosy and cute.

I usually use the word formula, which has become much more common as
a term in the last few years among mothers and HPs.  I think this is
sufficiently un-cosy and un-cute to be truthful.  There are also
science-fiction shades of meaning (cue to scene of mad scientist with
staring eyes and crazy hair, in lab full of frothing green and orange
test tubes .....'Haha! Only a few more minutes and my powerful
*formula*  for world domination will be complete! Haha!' ), and for
many people, unpleasant memories of algebra lessons ('If 3x equals 2y
to the power of 10, and if p then q......').  So formula is a pretty
good choice for Brit English : )

Heather Welford Neil
NCT bfc Newcastle upon Tyne UK