From:
Glenn Evans <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 26 Oct 1997 21:33:24 -0800
Oh m'gosh -- just saw myself quoted as saying one of ten moms can't.
I know that's not a correct statistic, am looking through my "keepers" file re this issue, to see what I meant to say, or why I did say that at the time.  In general, if I am talking to moms who ask "but what about women who can't..."  I say that "I" think maybe only 1 of 100, if that many, really can't.  For the other howmanyoutof100, "I" think it is more a matter of being unwilling or unable to dedicate themselves to making it work, for whatever reason.

The other thing I am starting to use (and I may have posted this before -- it gets confusing as to what I said where, between private e-mail, lactnet and lactivist, not to mention working on my long post of several weeks ago, for publication)   is:

"Even if 1 of 10 women can't.." and go on to discuss the particular issue or piece of information at hand, which usually is something about the number who could breastfeed, compared to the number who actually do, or compared to the numbers we would like to achieve.

DO NOT SAY  "Ms. Stillerman says 10%..." please.   To date, people have cited on lactnet, or in private posts to me, guesstimates and statistics of anywhere from 1 of 200, to 1 of 2000,  (personal exp. or research formulated), which is a very large spread.

Sincerely,

Chanita, San Francisco