From:
Barb Otterson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 20 Jul 2002 21:23:38 -0400
Hi All:  I just got a call from my client who thought she had yeast in her
ducts 10 days ago.  I had gotten her a prescription for diflucan and
nystatin for her son.  But then 2 days later she saw her MD and he looked
at her nipples and said "It doesn't look like yeast" thought she had the
beginning of mastitis (although no redness or temp) and told her to stop
the diflucan and start an antibiotic.  She took the antibiotic for 7 or 10
days whatever he prescribed and now her breast is REALLY sore.  She went to
the ER today and had a CBC drawn WBC's are good, but the MD gave her IM
Rocephin just to be on the safe side.  But this MD gave her some good
advice, start taking the diflucan again, use warm packs on her breasts and
change positions.  Her breasts are really sore, both of them on the bottom
part of the breast.  The ducts feel very "fibrous".  The doctor also gave
her some Tylenol with codiene for the pain because she is in so much pain.
She said she will stick it out for 1 more week but then if the pain is not
better she is going to stop breastfeeding.  Does anyone have any other
ideas?  Could it be that the yeast is just located in the lower part of the
breast like that on both sides?  What else could it be and what can I tell
her to do for comfort.  She has alot of milk, and OAMER.  I observed a
feeding and the baby chokes and sputters with letdown and the whole feeding
lasts about 5 minutes.  So I told her about the different positions and
about removing baby from breast with let down until it slows then put baby
back to breast.  I'd appreciate any and all suggestions.  I offered for her
to use cabbage, that maybe it was dilated milk ducts from oversupply, but I
guess she has already tried that.  Thanks so much, in advance.
Barb in Wisconsin