From:
Jan Barger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 May 1995 08:34:32 -0400
Karen,

Thanks for the reference on epidurals - I just couldn't get it right and
couldn't find it in my file of articles labeled "articles"  (One would think
after 10 years of private practice one would get organized, right?  Wrong).
 I do know I have it somewhere....

Lisa,

I think the periodontal syringe is about 12 cc - and you're right, it is
easier to get than the others.  Works fine.

I understand the concern about using an altered pieced of equipment for
something for which it is not intended, but a) necessity is the mother of
invention and b) in some of these cases, if we don't do it, nothing will be
invented.  How do we think the lactaid/SNS came into being?  The Starter SNS
was a result of using what I term the "poor man's supplementer" which was
(and still is) a 36 inch feeding tube (5 fr) attached to a syringe with the
plunger pulled out.

ANYTHING, if not used correctly can cause damage in one way or another.  Our
responsibility is to carefully instruct.  Even pumps, if used incorrectly,
can cause tissue damage.  (Esp. those little hummers made by the formula co).

Marie,

I was going to comment on the breast phobia, and Karen beat me to the punch
about babies that are deeply suctioned or cords are visualized with a
laryngoscope and then plopped on the mom's breast with no thought to the
consequence.  That was one of my terribly intractable ones.  I'll be
interested in Heather Harris' talk at the ILCA conference on 'rebirthing'
(no, it isn't the new age primal scream thing - it has to do with the bathtub
and breastfeeding :)  )

Another point is the well meaning but the mistaken idea that we can force the
baby on the breast.  One of the formula co literature states that the best
time to put the baby to breast is when he is crying because his mouth is open
WIDE.  (Right.)  His tongue is up, protecting his airway, and we are trying
to shove him on the breast.  Do we wonder the babe has a problem?

I think your point on reintroduction to the breast slowly and calmly is
great.

My letter to the pump companies will go out today.... UNITED we stand!

Jan B.