From:
Sheila Company <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 4 Mar 2006 15:39:28 +0000
Opinion adopted by the BIOHAZ Panel related to the microbiological risks in infant formulae and follow-on formulae
    European food safety authority
  http://www.efsa.eu.int/science/biohaz/biohaz_opinions/691_en.html

  The Department of Health and Food Standards Agency have issued revised guidance on the preparation and storage of infant formula milk. (UK)
  http://www.food.gov.uk/news/newsarchive/2005/nov/infantformulastatementnov05

  However this bottle feeding leaflet for parents is rather vague, & doesn't suggest giving ready made formula to premature, immunosuppressed or newborn babies under 4 weeks of age:-(((
  http://www.dh.gov.uk/assetRoot/04/12/36/20/04123620.pdf

  >Has it been found that this organism is added to the PIF when it is
>reconstituted?  I understood that the powder actually contained the
>bacterium in the can before reconstitution.

  I agree, the PIF is contaminated in the factory, so each & every unopened &
  sealed pack of formula, is a potential threat to vulnerable babies (above & beyond the other known risks of infant formula)

>If the PIF that contains A sakazakii is reconstituted hygienically, it
>will simply be a growth medium for the bug.  How will that help?

  It's more than just being hygienic, but using freshly drawn & boiled water that is still above 70 degrees celcius, at the time of making up the feed, & also making up a fresh bottle every feed, rather than 24 hours supply in advance.
  Milk made in this way will scald a babies mouth, so needs to be made up then quickly cooled down.
  To realistically do this every 2-3 hours, with a hungry baby wailing in the background, is unlikely to encourage parent compliance!

  With a bit of luck it may encourage some potential bottle feeders, to see how convenient bf is in comparison (forever hopeful!)

>>From the upcoming April 1st issue of Clinical Infectious Diseases
>>2006;42:996-1002:
>>Enterobacter sakazakii: An Emerging Pathogen in Powdered Infant Formula

>>D. Drudy, N. R. Mullane, T. Quinn, P. G. Wall,2 and S. Fanning

>>Enterobacter sakazakii represents a significant risk to the health of
>>neonates. This bacterium is an emerging opportunistic pathogen that is associated >>with rare but life-threatening cases of meningitis, necrotizing enterocolitis, and >>sepsis in premature and full-term infants. Infants aged <28 days are considered to >>be most at risk. Feeding with powdered infant formula (PIF) has been >>epidemiologically implicated in several clinical cases. Infants should be
>>exclusively breast-fed for the first 6 months of life, and those who are not should be >>provided with a suitable breast-milksubstitute. PIF is not a sterile product; to reduce >>the risk of infection, the reconstitution of powdered formula should be undertaken by >>caregivers using good hygienic measures and in accordance with the product >>manufacturer's food safety guidelines.

>>Sounds like a good reference to use for the risk management of powdered formula >>giveaways and for powdered formula use in general.
>>Laurie Shornick, Ph.D.

Sheila Company (UK)
  Health Visitor, NCT BFC & IBCLC

Sheila Company