From:
June & John <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Oct 2003 16:42:08 +1300
Dear Lactnet readers

I would be grateful for input and advice
I was called by SCBU to-day and asked if I could help a mother who was
wanting to B/f her twins
they were born 29/40 gestation,
Now 37/1/40 gestation.

Mother expressing - good supply

Twin one is on CPAP but improving
Twin two ok- but will need further investigations for bowel problems
Both now weigh 2kgs., both are having kangaroo care when mum is in the unit.
both are having ebm by bottles/ and being tube feed overnight.
The nurse caring for the babies said that they lick the breast sometimes ,
they do  attach for a few minutes then fall asleep.
the nurse identified that this mother has been given sooo much advice that
she is now confused about what she should be doing .

What would you advise around the breastfeeding
Should there be a b/f plan put in place?
I thought that breast should be offered first - say 10 mins, then
alternative feed.  should the babies continue with bottles, tubes, cups, Any
suggestions would be gratefully appreciated  I feel out of my depth
completely and there isnt a lactation consultant availbable  in our
hospital. and the mother is unable to pay for a private consultant.

I have permission to post to lactnet.

Sincerely

June Nicholls  (awaiting results 17/10)