Date:
Tue, 12 Mar 2002 14:50:59 -0600
At 11:48 AM 3/12/02 -0500, Nikki wrote:
>I have a question about glycerin gel dressings. How could some woman get
>so terribly damaged in the day or two in the hospital unless there was some
>major flaw in the anatomy of latch?

You'd be amazed.  Get a baby who's mother has pushed for 3 hours and then
he's been dragged out with a vacuum and watch him chomp.  Or a multip who
really doesn't want any help or advice who has the baby WAY over in the
crook of her arm with the baby's bottom lip at the base of the nipple and
traction on the nipple besides.  You can get some pretty impressive damage
fast.  Personally, I think the gel dressings are great and so do the
moms.  We have been using the ones currently named "Soothies" since they
were first marketed by Southwest Technologies.  They require no Dr.'s order
and are given out by the nurses as well as the LC's.

I agree with Kathleen that there is no substitute for good latch technique,
but that also requires nurses who want to learn and can actually teach it,
and mothers who are open to advice!

Becky Krumwiede, RN, IBCLC
Appleton, Wisconsin