Date:
Sun, 13 Dec 1998 16:40:06 -0800
Lactnet:
        I have been under the understanding that jaundice serves a purpose in
keeping the baby healthy. A     higher bili acts like an antioxidant to
help protect us in the newborn state.We don't have to be        as crazy to
get those levels down. Only if they are being destructive(ABO-Rh) do we
have to be      concerned, but that doesn't mean that the mothers can't
nurse. The breastmilk would be the most         natural way to reduce it over a
period of a few days with its laxative affect.
        Phototherapy,yes we know it works, but do we really know what it does
to the baby,we have to          cover eyes & genitals, does it affect thyroid
(?), will it have an effect on the child later on       in life? Can
phototherapy be damaging to the newborn(?)      has there been any studies on
the long        term effects of phototherapy?
        We don't use the bili lights much any more as our peds don't seem to
get really nervous about        higher bili levels.
Jean