From:
Denise Stuart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Aug 2004 20:09:47 -0400
I was just notified of this research study looking for breastfeeding moms
http://www.nwkinetics.com/currenttrials.htm. One of our coalition members
called the number and they said "the medication is a "contraceptive" and
then the mother is given a breastpump to pump with.  She didn't indicate
what kind of pump.  I asked if the contraceptive would decrease milk supply
and she assured me it would not.  The initial visit is 1 1/2 hours and then
she is required to come back for a 13 hour stay. I forgot to ask if the
baby could come too - but she is to pump during that time and they measure
the levels in the milk to see how rapidly it leaves the system.  It says
she has to be willing to cease breastfeeding for 50 hours.
It does not sound good to me and very risky.  Does anyone know anything
about this?

Denise Stuart, RN,BSN,IBCLC,RLC
Kent, WA