From:
Kathy Eng <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Dec 2005 19:18:33 -0600
I think the DHA/ADA makes them have runny BMs so that it is really hard to
tell if they are breastfeeding well (when supplemented also with formula).
What I commonly see is formula fed babies having a runny BM every feeding on
Enfamil Lipil. Rather than the old stuff giving them hard, formed BMs, or
constipation. When we ask mom how many BMs to assess breastfeeding, we must
ask how much formula. Even one bottle of Enfamil Lipil a day seems to throw
off the diaper counts. Baby might be getting just 2 ounces a day of Enfamil
Lipil and breastfeeding really poorly but still have 2-3 BMs so the
breastfeeding situation seems better than it really is. I work for WIC and
we use Enfamil so I use this as the example. Best, Kathy Eng