From:
Joy M Cocks <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Nov 1999 16:22:43 +1100
Dear all,

Thanks to those who responded to my request for information.  I was also
able to get some valuable information from the Lactnet archives.  I have had
very helpful replies and been directed to a couple of websites (thanks
Denise) specifically for women who have had breast surgery.  As this woman
is on the internet I was able to pass these sites onto her.

I wasn't able to see this client, due to time constraints, but was able to
have a long phone chat with her.  She is very articulate and was able to
give a detailed description of the pain/sensation that she feels whilst
feeding, and she understands the importance of achieving a good latch at the
breast.  All indications are that the baby is getting plenty of milk.  After
questioning her, I concluded that it was probably ductal pain and was able
to reassure her that it will get better.

Interestingly, she said that the midwife had "offered" to give the baby a
bottle (not the other way around), but when she looked at the baby's little
face she "just couldn't do it" - she also realised that this was not the
answer to the problem, so opted to take analgesia and persist with
breastfeeding.  She sounds very committed to breastfeeding.  Fed her first
for 3 1/2 months only, which she was disappointed about and says that she
didn't know anything about it then and, I would guess, received poor advice.

The surgery was done 2 1/2 years ago, the nipple was severed and she says
that the surgeon was very particular with reconnecting the ducts as he knew
that she may want to breastfeed again.

Thanks again - it's great to have such advice, literally at my fingertips!!
Joy

Joy Cocks RN RM IBCLC
BRIGHT Vic 3741
email:[log in to unmask]