From:
Carole Peterson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Jul 2006 07:59:23 EDT
Thank you Lucy and I agree. Although the initial event was about a position
at WIC, the real discussion is the credentials and training required for a
person supporting breastfeeding mothers and babies. Although WIC is a US
program, it serves 50% of the babies in this country, many of whom are  breastfed.
The question becomes what do we look for when searching for a person  to
appropriately assist these mothers? The same question applies to a hospital  where
the "lactation nurse" is the only staff nurse who breastfed her own  children.
Lactation services in many situations, for too long, have been seen as  non
essential or without priority. Until we examine what is being done, progress
cannot be made to correct the situation. Unfortunately to many of us the task
seems overwhelming. Lucy's questions were about what is being done and what can
 be done in the future. Questions we all need to ask.
Carole Peterson MS, IBCLC, RLC
Indiana