Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Nov 2009 02:18:09 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (24 lines)
Susan, thank you for your post regarding this disturbing trend,  I too, have to deal with this "crazy talk" on an almost daily basis.  I have always felt that this type of "control and perfection parenting" is somehow related to disorders such as, OCD, anorexia/bulemia, depression, personality and anxiety disorders in children and young adults.  Sad to think that pediatic sleep centers are now common place and children as young as 3 yrs old are on antidepressants. 

Who's to blame? The parents or the "professionals" who write this stuff (and that is being kind)?  As we know, new parents are such an easy target for money-hungry opportunists.  Words and ideas are so powerful, "experts" can be so convincing, coming across as confident and competent even though their advise lacks basic research and common sense.  It's become worse simply because of the multimedia abilities of our culture.  There is no escaping it.

On a positive note, I believe we too, can be powerful.  We have all experienced that our ideas and our words can also be convincing, changing someone's life forever,...lifting their spirit instead of breaking it.....one parent, one baby at a time.  
That's what I love about this work!

Thanks to all of us for doing what we do and for having a safe place to share....Hugs!

Maria Parlapiano RN IBCLC
Postpartum Place
Chatham, NJ

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2