Date:
Sun, 23 May 1999 14:47:05 EDT
Diane asks,

<< I brought this up once before in less specific terms, and the sense I
 got from lactnet was that boys *don't* have more breastfeeding
 problems than girls.  Anyone else want to run a tally - of clients, or
 babies that drive us into breastfeeding advocacy, or whatever?  I
 really have a strong sense that boys must have more trouble at the
 start...  Or is there some other factor that seems to weight
 breastfeeding advocates heavily toward boys? >>

Two things here:  (1) I have three children -- Jill, Torrey Beth, and
Timothy.  Timothy is the reason I'm a lactation consultant.  Absolutely the
most perfect home birth....and it took him 5 days to learn how to latch
on.....he never did breastfeed very well.  (2)  If you look at the article by
Crowell et al in June (I think) '94 Journal of Nurse Midwifery, she has done
a study on drugs & initiation of breastfeeding (a followup to Matthews' study
in 1989) in which one of the interesting sidelights was that girls took an
average of 28 hours to establish effective feeds; boys twice as long at 56
hours.

My guesstimation is that 75% of my private practice is boys.

Others?

Jan Barger who figures that while it might take boys longer to figure out
about breasts and breastfeeding, once they do, they love it for life.