From:
Margery Wilson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 20 Jun 1998 21:05:43 -0400
I've searched the Lactnet archives but wasn't able to find the
*exact* info I need. I know that some of you will be able to
answer my question.

I have a patient who is bf a 21 month old. He bf  < 3 times in
24 hours (bedtime, when he awakes in the morning, and
"sometimes" once during the day). This has been his pattern
for at least the past six months. Mom has the sense that her
supply is minimal.

Mom has a family history of breast cancer (her own mother
died of breast cancer when my patient was not yet in her
teens). Understandably, this woman is very concerned about
routine breast cancer screenings. Her primary care physician
advised her that she could get a screening mammogram in
three months if she weaned ASAP. A radiologist concurred,
explaining that mammograms of the lactating breast are
useless for screening purposes. The patient is wondering if
breast tissue is still "too dense for mammography" when she
is doing such a token amount of bf? She doesn't really want
to totally wean, but she is most worried of repeating her own
mother's history :-(

I look forward to hearing your thoughts,

Margery Wilson, IBCLC