Date:
Mon, 16 Jul 2001 17:53:32 +0100

>Dear Friends:
>     Donated blood is sold.
>     Wamly,
>Nikki Lee RN, MSN, Mother of 2, IBCLC, CIMI

Nikki, not everywhere, by any means : )

There is a long-established tradition that blood is given freely in
some countries. Here, for example, you get a little pin after your
50th pint, I think, but that's all : )  It's not even real gold : )))

  Vans go to workplaces to collect from volunteers and certain groups
(pregnant and nursing mothers, for instance,  and people like me with
narrow veins who take too long to donate (this is true!), are
excluded).

Are you saying selling is a good thing?

Or just that societies that buy and sell blood are inconsistent if
they don't do the same with breastmilk?

If you buy and sell breastmilk, the risk is that the poorest mothers
will sell it, because they have to.

And if there is a money-making middle man, the 'consumer' won't even
be sure she is getting the real stuff, once the 'improved, added
ingredients' have altered it.

Heather Welford Neil
NCT bfc Newcastle upon Tyne