Date:
Wed, 4 Mar 2009 07:52:14 -0600
Ilene, I don't see this as "beating up" (although, being on the receiving end of comments and discussion, it does feel that way!)

I see this as an opportunity to clarify our feelings, ideas, ideals, opportunities. Every little look at this topic helps me to figure out what I really believe.

After my lengthy, and depressing, post yesterday, I found out I had been invited to dinner at friends' house, and had forgotten. Ooops. I think in my dismal thoughts, I really didn't want to remember. But, I was glad I went.

Nearly 6 years ago, I attended a birth with G&S. I was their doula, and ended up spending a bit of time working with them to fine tune breastfeeding. Nearly 4 years ago, I attended the birth of their second baby. It was a wonderful experience, and breastfeeding went so well. Nearly a year ago, I attended their third, and possibly last, birth. Beautiful baby, gorgeous couple, amazing family. They're the people who are so incredibly beautiful, you can't imagine that they don't realize it, but they don't. To them, they are just plain old folk.

They greeted me warmly, embraced me, told funny stories of how I tried to get S to touch each baby's head as they crowned (but that totally was not what she'd want to do). We remembered the moments of her stripping down to nothing, and knowing that it was TIME.

They remembered my gentle encouragement as their babies lay on S's chest, and unfolded, searched, latched. Remembered phone calls in the middle of the night. All kinds of things I'd forgotten, because it was nothing out of the ordinary, I'm just plain old folk.

At dinner, G said a blessing, and asked for particular guidance for my hands, warm and kind, and that I would continue to touch families as I had touched theirs.

It couldn't have come at a more opportune time. I almost started crying at the table.

There are many discouraging moments in life, especially with a part of life that is so loved/hated. There, as Morgan pointed out, is no in-between. And there are many encouraging moments, too. The trick is to find more encouraging than discouraging!!

I hate confrontation, too. But, I always learn something from these heated discussions and take away more than I put in. Thank you for the opportunity to expand and clarify my thoughts.

Best wishes,
Sam Doak
with no job, no job prospects and a growing load of initials!!