From:
"Liz Cook, IBCLC" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 May 1997 23:06:06 -0400

<< ate:    Tue, 29 Apr 1997 20:11:16 -0000
 From:    cjg <[log in to unmask]>
 Subject: Sleepy Babies

  LLL phamphlet on Newborn Jaundice ( Number 25) has a panel on tips for
 waking a sleepy baby and keeping him interested . An often overlooked tip
 is to dim the lights as bright lights may make the baby close his eyes.
 Along the same line, a quiet room free of distractions also helps, as
 some babies fall asleep to tune it all out.
   Mary Graden   LLL Idaho

I agree wholeheartedly on the importance of integrating developmental
strategies into the overall approach for feeding.  I completed intensive
training in develpmental care (NIDCAP = Neonatal Individualized Developmental
Care and Assessment Program) which I have been implementing in our NICU and
newborn nurseries.  I use tips from my training experience all the time while
introducing breastfeeding (early holding through stages of effective
feeding).  The environment can have a profound effect on the outcome of
feeding, especially if the baby is easily agitated OR extremely sleepy.  In
both cases gentle touch, slow movement, skin-to-skin holding, soft voice, dim
lights etc. work wonders.  Often, I've suggested to an overwhelmed mom/baby
to go to a back bedroom away from the TV, company, light etc.  It really
works....
My NIDCAP training has influenced much much more than work with NICU babes.
 Let me know what you think!