From:
Crystal Reddell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Nov 1997 23:57:47 PST
Believe me, there's a difference in wet diaper counts when you use
cloth vice paper diapers!  Of course I can't find my WAB or BAB right
now--probably out in the van...but I go through twice as many cloth
diapers a day (8 to 10 rather than 5 or 6 disposables) since I switched.
It would logically follow that the recommendations should
not be the same.  When doing phone counselling, one might ask of the
mother which type she is using, to be sure.  Most use paper, but you
never know...It also would depend greatly on the parents' habits, ie
do they change baby's paper diaper EVERY time s/he wets, or wait until
the diaper is good and full?  Baby may have voided 2 or 3 times in one
diaper, and if this goes on all day, mother is worried because baby
has only had *3 or 4* wet diapers!  But has obviously voided quite a
bit.  The thing about cloth is that you really *have* to change them
every time they wet, so there's no guessing.  Anybody out there have
the LLL recommendations on hand?  I know what they are, but am loathe
to print them without my book handy.  It seems to me that this is
important info to know when trying to assess a baby's hydration.
Best to all,
Crystal, LLLL