From:
Karyn-grace Clarke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 12 Dec 2009 13:05:09 -0800
Wading in.

Seems to me that the whole pacifier debate has changed drastically in the
last 15 years.  Back then, it was very apparent that pacifiers were seen as
very detrimental to breastfeeding.  They were considered 'evil' and parents
were very strongly encouraged to avoid using them if they wanted to succeed
at breastfeeding.  This was information that was being delivered by LLL,
public health, and in books and media.

I noticed back then that mothers were ALWAYS asking about pacifiers, most
often before using them.  Many mothers were very carefully 'waiting' until
the right time to introduce them.

Now however, the questions just don't come.  Seems that paci's are being
introduced VERY early, often in hospital.  I myself am not getting questions
about using them, before they are introduced.  They just ARE being
introduced.  I wonder why parents are not asking about appropriateness or
timing anymore?

My own personal story is that I used them with two of my three children.
Very carefully.  And, I hid it from my fellow LLL Leaders and members!  I
thought I would be poorly judged if they knew I used a pacifier, even though
my babies were healthy, gaining well, and were breastfeeding fabulously.

As a professional, I've always told parents that for the most part,
pacifiers are not necessary for babies; rather they are a 'parental coping
technique'.  And while I still believe that, I am challenged by my own
situations with my two children, who really did seem to 'need' them.  One
because she was the classic infant who needed all the 5 S's (Harvey Karp
style, long before he wrote his book) in order to sleep given that she
nursed AWAKE and for food only, never for soothing.  And two because,
according to Dr. Jack Newman, he was a 'super efficient nurser' who was done
on one side after only 5 minutes of nursing right from birth (translates:
Plenty of milk, not enough sucking).  Honestly, I think I would have lost my
mind without aid of the paci, and I honestly don't know what alternatives
could have been used with either of my paci-using babes.

Blessed holidays to all!

Karyn-grace Clarke, IBCLC, RLC

Registered Lactation Consultant

Happy Tribe Consulting

For milk makers, drinkers, and those who love them

250-739-3146